I have been predetermined to have free will


There is a school of thought that argues that worshiping God (of the Bible) is not a matter of free will, because those who are destined to worship him are predetermined. When I recently learned that there is a heavenly registry (Book of Life) with the names of all those who will spend eternity with God, I was discouraged, because this seemed to support that argument.

But on further reflection, I realized that the Book of Life is further evidence that worshiping God (of the Bible) is a matter of free will. The book exists for two reasons: to verify my acceptance of the invitation into the Kingdom at the end of time, and to further record my deeds while on earth after accepting the invite.

Both reasons are evidence that I have the free will to either accept or decline the invite into the Kingdom of God. And even after accepting the invite, I have the free will to continue living my life to fulfill my own selfish desires or repent and dedicate my life to fulfill the desires of God. Both options have consequences which will play themselves out at the end of time.

The contents of the registry are known to the Almighty, but will only be revealed to us at the end of time. Therefore, I look at the Book of Life the same way as I look at physical death. I have accepted that death will come knocking on my door someday, but I don't live my life recklessly because of that expectation. I live it as if death does not exist.

Same with the Book of Life. I know my name is in the registry because I have accepted the invitation into the Kingdom, but I do not live my life on earth recklessly. Instead I strive to live it in line with God's purpose for my life, expecting that this is recorded in my registry.

Popular Posts

Loving wisdom is better than self love

Knowledge trumps sensuality

Adversity is leading me to destiny