LIFE LESSON: Obedience is better than sacrifice


Lent is a period of 40 days during which denominational Christians remember the events leading up to and including the death of Jesus Christ. In the denominational church where I grew up this period is used as time to draw closer to the Lord through prayer, fasting, repentance, and self-denial.


I never felt the urge to participate in this sacrifice even though many people around me participated. I did not see the value in it, I must admit at times I felt guilt especially when I saw those close to me actively participating but the guilt would be short lived.


I don't think I understood what it was about and I failed to ask the right questions to the right people. Now that I am out of the denominational church and I am able to look at it as an outsider I understand that it is meant to be a sacrifice done to commemorate the sacrifice Jesus made for us on the cross.


It is a very noble sacrifice but it would have been an exercise in futility for me here is why.


Sacrifice without obedience is futile


The Creator is after my soul and spirit which are collectively referred to as the heart.My heart is by default hostile to the Creator but to be who I was created to be I must submit it to him for his correction. 


The Creator will not impose himself on my heart. I need to give consent by being in a relationship with him and he has commanded that this relationship can only be activated through his Son Jesus Christ, until I obey his commandment I cannot be in a relationship with him. 


When I was still at a denominational church I had not consciously activated this relationship so this sacrifice would have been an exercise in futility because it is at surface level while the Creator required that I first open myself up to him at a much deeper level.


The Creator is more interested in obedience than my sacrifice because obedience gives him access to my heart, which is the deeper level of my being where he operates.


To be who I was created to be it is therefore more important for me to prioritize obedience over sacrifice.


Popular Posts

LIFE LESSON: To prove the invisible exists, live like it exists

LIFE LESSON: The spiritual battle is not about finding a healthy balance.

What I priortise will lead towards or away from my destiny.